SESSION 4 –
The HOW of Dispensational Bible Study
Let the Word of God be our Guide in… “How to Study God’s Word.”
Since God, through Paul, tells us to “study…(by) rightly DIVIDING the Word of God” (2Tim 2:15), it certainly would be appropriate to allow God, through Paul, to tell us how this should be done. So let’s now look to Paul’s divinely inspired understanding of just how God’s eternal purpose is being accomplished through the ages.
Three-Fold Division of the Word of God (See also the Timeline Grace-Chart)
1) Time Past:
Ephesians 2:11-12 Wherefore remember, that ye being in TIME PAST Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
2) But Now:
Ephesians 2:13 BUT NOW in Christ Jesus ye (Gentiles in the flesh) who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
3) The Ages to Come:
Ephesians 2:7 That IN THE AGES TO COME he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
1) TIME PAST (see Eph 2:11-12 above)
- BASIC CHARACTERISTIC – DISTINCTION between
(the Circumcision) and all others – called Gentiles (the Uncircumcision) Israel
Deut 14:2 (
) art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a PECULIAR PEOPLE unto himself, ABOVE ALL THE NATIONS …upon the earth. (Exo 19:6) Israel
- AGENCY –”the
” – “salvation is of the Jews” (Jn 4:22) commonwealthof Israel
- SPHERE – The Land of
on concerns the earth Israel
- OPERATING SYSTEM – “the Law,” “covenants” & “promise”
- HOPE – the hope of
(Acts 28:20) “thy kingdom come… on earth” (Mark 6:10) Israel
- SCRIPTURE – Genesis through early Acts applies only to
2) BUT NOW (see Eph 2:13 above)
- BASIC CHARACTERISTIC – NO DISTINCTION or preferred people IN CHRIST-
“all are one in Christ Jesus” (Gal 3:28),”make in Himself of twain (of Jew & Gentile) one new man” (Eph 2:15)
- AGENCY – “the body of Christ” – “the Uncircumcision” (
has fallen, Rom 11:11-12) Israel
- SPHERE – concerns “heavenly places in Christ” (Eph 1:3; our home, Philippians 3:20)
- Operating System – “grace through faith, not of works, but unto good works (Eph 2:8-10)
- Hope – “the hope of glory” (
1:27), Rapture (1Thes 4:17) Col
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
- SCRIPTURE – Paul’s thirteen Epistles to “the body of Christ.” – Romans to Philemon.
3) THE AGES TO COME (see Eph 2:7 above)
- BASIC CHARACTERISTIC – Jew & Gentile ARE ONE IN HIM with separate eternal callings.
Eph 1:10 That in the DISPENSATION OF THE FULNESS OF TIMES he might gather together IN ONE all things in Christ, BOTH which are (HIS BODY) IN HEAVEN, and (the Believers of ISRAEL) WHICH ARE ON EARTH; even IN HIM:
Scripture – All Scripture.
- AGENCY – The Body of Christ AND Israel in their respective spheres.
- SPHERE – Israel co-reigning with Christ over the whole EARTH and the "body of Christ" co-reigning with Christ in " HEAVENLY PLACES"
- OPERATING SYSTEM - “grace through faith, unto good works”
- HOPE – then to be fulfilled “in fullness of times…he might gather together IN ONE all things in Christ” (Eph 1:10)